Curious how to regrow hair? Hair care and enhancing natural hair growth doesn’t require purchasing the most expensive shampoos and conditioners. If your hair care budget is minimal, there are simple TLC natural remedies for hair growth you can try on the cheap.
First, let’s explore the factors that impede hair growth or regrowth.
- Environmental factors such as prolonged sun exposure, seasonal changes, air pollution.
- Stress, anxiety, and trauma can take a toll on hair regrowth by attacking the hair follicles or pushing your hair into the telogen hair cycle phase — more on that below.
- Poor diet that can cause vitamin and protein deficiencies.
- Weak immune system.
- Hormonal imbalance.
- Sudden weight loss.
- Taking antidepressants or blood thinning medication.
These are some factors that affect hair growth, but you can do something about it. Here are 6 natural remedies for hair loss you can do at home.
- Eat a healthy diet: We can’t stress this enough. Because the condition of your hair is a direct reflection of your nutrition, it is important to eat a diet rich in vitamins and minerals necessary to support hair growth. We recommend eating foods with protein, vitamins A, C, and E, iron, zinc, copper, magnesium, and selenium. The Vitamin B-family, including Biotin (Vitamin B7) and Niacin (Vitamin B3), is extremely important for maintaining strong, healthy hair and fast growth. You can also take a multivitamin or a supplement that supports healthy hair growth rich in these vitamins and minerals. Hair growth doesn’t happen by getting one vitamin or mineral alone. All of these vitamins and minerals play an important role in hair growth, and some work best when paired together synergistically. Whatever you choose, your goal is to avoid any nutritional deficiencies that can have detrimental effects on your hair.
- Stay stress-free: Stress is one of the main factors that contribute to hair loss. Stress increases cortisol levels in your blood and directly causes your hair to get pushed into the telogen phase (where hair stops growing) too early. To avoid too much stress, practice meditation, breathing exercises and relaxation techniques, including yoga. Be sure to get a full night’s rest. Resting releases the growth hormone that promotes hair growth.
Scalp massage: What’s better than natural remedies for hair growth that are also relaxing? Massaging your scalp helps to increase blood circulation and flow to the hair follicles, which in turn rejuvenates and stimulates them. Stimulation of the dermal papilla cells can help hair regrowth and improve hair thickness. You should deep condition your hair weekly with a hot oil treatment or hair mask. Here’s what to do:
a. Apply the oil or conditioner to your hair, focusing on your scalp.
b. Use your fingers to rub the oil or conditioner on your scalp. Massage your scalp in a circular motion for three to five minutes.
c. Rinse the oil or conditioner out of your hair
- Use castor oil: One of the oils you can use on your scalp is castor oil. Castor oil is rich in Vitamin E and essential fatty acids, making it ideal for hair and promoting growth. First, mix the castor oil with an equal amount of coconut oil, olive oil or almond oil to make it less thick. You can also add rosemary, peppermint, eucalyptus, lavender or thyme oil to the castor oil and then apply it to your hair. Massage your scalp with the solution and leave it in for 30 to 45 minutes, then shampoo.
- Egg Masking: This is a great way to strengthen your damaged hair. Eggs are an excellent source of protein which strengthens and protects your hair from breaking or shedding. An egg contains between 3.6 and 6.5 grams of protein, making it a powerful conditioning treatment necessary for hair strengthening and growth. It also can help eliminate excessive dandruff from your scalp. Eggs can be used as a hair mask on a weekly basis, in addition to yogurt, honey or avocados. After applying the mask for up to 30 minutes, shampoo and condition your hair like normal.
Hair growth takes persistence, consistency, and patience, so practice these simple but effective hair care remedies on a regular basis, and you’ll see improvement.
Looking for extra help when it comes to restoring your natural hair growth? At Nutrafol, we provide natural solutions to improve your hair quality — strength, shine, texture, density, manageability, softness, and faster hair growth. Learn more here.