Our hair reflects the care and products we nourish it with.
Many factors such as environment, food, stress or chemical products can contribute to our hair looking lifeless and dry. But there are many proven remedies for it, some of which have been used by ancient cultures to this day. Different types of essential oils for hair growth have been part of many hair care beauty regimes for centuries. Ever wondered why Native Americans and women from countries like India have such lustrous locks? One reason may be that they used natural care practices to keep their hair beautiful and long.
These natural hair care practices ensured that the women had long tresses that were also thick and lustrous. Recent studies have also revealed that various types of essential oils are vital for keeping your hair healthy. Essential oils for hair growth have been used for many years for their medicinal purposes, extracted from various plants, fruits, stems, roots and bark of different trees. They work wonders for your scalp and nourish your hair. These essential oils help to soothe an irritated and dry scalp that may make your head feel itchy, and penetrate deeply into your hair follicles to help stimulate and grow shiny healthy hair.
What are the benefits of essential oils for hair growth?
• Besides promoting hair growth it also makes the hair healthier and stronger
• Improves the overall condition of your hair
• Helps solve dandruff problems
• It soothes dry and itchy scalps
Some oils that are essential for the well being of your hair
1) Lavender Essential Oil: This oil helps to balance the natural scalp oils that are very important for healthy hair. It is an anti-inflammatory agent and has antiseptic properties. Which makes it a great ingredient for treating and soothing a dry scalp. Regularly massage your hair with lavender essential oils to keep it soft and lustrous and also to reduce hair loss. Other benefits include being a mild sedative and it also has a slight anti depressant effect that makes it great for people who are stressed out.
2) Rosemary Essential Oil: This is considered to be amongst the best essential oils for hair growth because it’s packed with antioxidants that help in combating hair thinning and graying. Use this oil to massage your head, as it stimulates the blood flow to your scalp, encouraging healthy hair growth. It also helps in curing dandruff problems, oily skin and irritation of the scalp.
3) Ylang Ylang Essential Oil: Native to the tropical part of Asia, this oil can be used in any traditional hair care practices as it promotes smooth skin as well as healthy growth of hair. If you have an oily scalp, this helps to normalize the sebum production. Meaning no more greasy hair and longer time in between washes. It has natural antiseptic properties that help in maintaining a healthy scalp. It also promotes hair growth by stimulating blood flow to the scalp. When coupled with a massage, it helps in easing tension and helps in treating people with anxiety disorders and insomnia.
Tips on using Essential Oils For Hair Growth
Because essential oils for hair growth are quite strong they should be diluted with a base oil to bring down the oil content to 3%. For people with thin and fine hair, essential oils should be mixed with base oils like jojoba, coconut, flaxseed, olive or sunflower oil that will help in adding volume to your hair. People who have thick hair with a rough texture should mix the essential oils with olive, hemp, sesame or almond oil, which have great hydrating qualities.
Oils have been part of many cultures and by looking at the hair quality of women who use it as part of their daily routine, you can see how using essential oils for hair growth has a positive impact on our hair.